My little baby boy is almost 2 as well!! I used to use air fresheners, but I came across this info, and thought -- its not worth it for me.
"The Endowment for Medical Research has suggested "air fresheners" should be called "air pollutants." Many brands contain known toxic chemicals. A 2002 EPA study testing plug-in air fresheners found that the fragrance chemicals in these products react with common indoor air pollutants to produce serious health hazards. Air freshener chemicals have been implicated in cancer, neurological damage, reproductive and developmental disorders. They can also aggravate or trigger asthma attacks.
According to the Global Campaign for Recognition of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, these harmful chemicals have been found in air fresheners:
Benzyl alcohol: "causes respiratory problems, nausea and vomiting, a depressed central nervous system and a drop in blood pressure."
Camphor: "currently on the EPA's Hazardous Waste List ... readily absorbed through bodily tissue... irritation of the eyes, skin, nose and throat ... dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles and convulsions ... avoid inhalation of vapors"
Dichlorobenzene: "extremely toxic, a central nervous system depressant, kidney and liver poison. One of the chlorinated hydrocarbons that is long-lasting in the environment and stored in body fat. Banned in California."
Ethanol: "derived from petroleum and is carcinogenic ... toxic to the skin, respiratory, cardiovascular, developmental, endocrine, neurological and gastrointestinal systems."
Formaldehyde: "toxic if inhaled, poisonous if swallowed. skin and eye irritant."
Read more: Dangers of Plug-in Air Fresheners | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5421665_dangers-plugin-air-fresheners.html#ixzz17FJuUxl5"
This was from ehow.com... which I consider to be a "standard" site.... one with no bias or agenda. So... how to make your house smell nice? One of the best ideas I've seen is to put pure essential oils (maybe, 2 drops) in your vaccuum cleaner bag... or, if you are bagless, you can use your stovetop to make a mixture of cinnamon sticks, cloves, etc. -- there are lots of recipes online....
The health of my little guy is more important to me than having my house full of an artificial smell.