1. A helpful book is, Smart Couples Finish Rich by David Bach.
2. Don't plan on having SS to rely on in your retirement. Contribute as much as you can to retirement in the forms of IRAs and employer-sponsored plans.
3. When you rent or buy do not spend more than 30% of your gross (before tax) income on that expense. For example, if you earn $50k per year before taxes then you shouldn't pay more than $1,250 per month in a mortgage or rental payment. [30% of $50k is $15k. Divide that by 12 months and get $1,250.]
4. Shop around. It's amazing how you can save money for items if you are willing to use online retail sites like ebay, amazon, etc. And, if you're patient, you can often get deals.
5. Never buy a new car. Vehicles are not investments. Always buy used even by a year or two. And, before buying a vehicle, do research on Consumer Reports.
6. Lastly, when buying a home, always get a home inspection from a highly-rated BBB company, ASHI member, certified inspector. It will cost you $400-600, but it's worth it, even on new construction.